Sunday, January 29, 2012

Some frosty photos






















Walking along the river there were some great ice crystals forming. There isn't much tidal influence here, just a bit, so there isn't as much action for new ice formation like on the coast. Nunivak's coastline would have large iceblock's that one could walk up and over finding caves to crawl into.

 Willows
 I needed to get out to Bethel to get some assistance with the Special Education program in Atmautluak. It was confusing as to what time I needed to be out at the airstrip which is about a quarter mile from the school. I heard a plane overhead and grabbed pack and coat and went out running. By the time I got close enough to see the planes I realized the one I had heard had just taken off. Mad, thinking they'd forgotten me, I called the charter service in 10 below.

The planes that can be seen had spent the night due to an icefog that had crept in the evening before and caught pilots by surprise. The plane that came in earlier brought the pilots out to their planes. I was able to crawl in one to get out of the wind. The pilot started up the engine and worked at de-icing. The engine did NOT heat up the plane. We sat for 90 minutes waiting for clearance to fly. Never did get it as the icefog crept back into Bethel. They all had to shut down, cover engines and we had to walk back to the school and wait until they got the clearance. About noon it was a go, that's when the photo was taken.




No comments:

Post a Comment