Sunday, January 29, 2012

Halloween in the community



 Trick or treat is a tough one when the temp drops to near zero. It got cold quick this fall. The community hosts a Halloween party every year at the school. Costume contest with all ages happens after all of the games. High stakes as the winners (kids and adults) take home $200.  Relay races were common and the tiniest and oldest were the funniest.


Some of the children had costumes on in school, but most had them on this evening. Some adults held off until after the games were played. They went home and came ready to compete.








 Yup, Dorothy came as Dorothy. I could only come up with the wise old Himalayan medicine woman that looked more like a gypsy with a lot of jewelry....





The gym became packed. Halfway through I left and got my computer. I Skyped my family in Oregon so they could watch the events unfold. It was so  funny, especially the adults' parade.



 Concession stand always a big hit. Pop is the drink of choice out in these parts, for everyone.


This one was hilarious. Ina is receiving the cardboard and off she goes to the other side of the gym.
 From the photo it's hard to tell, she is a short little thing. I have spent a lot of time with her as I work with her adopted daughter. Many students are adopted, very common, no stigma. Often the first child can be given to the birth mother's mother.


 The parade begins for the adults. They lined up and off they went. Each group, young ones, middle school, high school got their parade and their prizes.











 There were five judges. Eventually the contestants were weeded out. Some of the outfits were incredibly creative considering there isn't a lot to purchase out in these parts...
 

 When all was said and done, Larry #7, won best costume. His act probably helped him be the audience favorite. He went about acting like Zombie Man, which sent all the little kids scurrying. He took the prize money and donated it back to the Student Government, which earned him a standing ovation.



 Ashley, our principal is the devil woman in the black and orange.


 Then it became Trick or Treat time. A little different than what I'm use to. People in the community brought in boxes/bags of candy. Each person in the gym, me included, was given a canvas bag that looked like an eyeball. Those with candy to hand out (I scrambled to find some at the store-ended up with a large bag of Hershey's Kisses) sat around the perimeter of the gym.


Youngest then oldest lined up, with teens and young adults at the end. Handfuls of candy were handed out to anyone coming through. If you were an infant and had a bag, you got your handful. When the box/bag ran out of candy, the person stood and got in line. I kept holding out, I'm sure looking very cheap, as I was only giving out a few Kisses at a time.



                                                
 I was really trying to hold out to the end. When I got down to my last Kiss, I ate it as there was only one, and about thirty people still in line.                              


  

No comments:

Post a Comment