Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Art class for high schoolers


 For the first time, in a very very long time I have been able to work with high school students in a creative way. Many years ago I had high school groups involved with Future Problem Solvers where we traveled competitively. This group of kids were so much fun, up for anything.

 On Friday afternoons I started a class open to 9-12 graders as a "tutoring/art class". We have combined math, reading and writing into any of these projects we have taken on. Too, before coming up I finished a Master Recyling class through OSU and have focused more on "Trash Art" What can one find in our heaps of debris to use in a creative positive healthy way?
Well, first project came about because of Signature Frozen Pizzas. Great boxes as they have this wonderful cut out window.......egg carton parts were glued behind watercolors to make 3D effect.

Mackenzie
Gwen
Along with the portraits, they all wrote a poem about the boy/girl in the window.
Margaret
Cindy
Colored pencil by Frankie

Mackenzie's Raven Mask -glue, gold paint, shoe polish

Jaime's Loon Mask










Antonia's chalk pastel and glue

Mackenzie
Cindy
Gwen
 We had several other pieces, but students took them home. These and others were submitted to the district art show. Below are continuous line drawings.

We had a lot of fun with these continuous lines. I went after Aaron, Margaret went after me and Aaron went after his hand.
Oil pastels showing light
Scrap paper mirror images
I have a collection of colorful wire that I gathered during the fall from the variety of "stuff" that happens in rural areas. I hope to get someone interested in basketry, weaving of some kind......

2 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've been on the blog - love the art. Very creative. Also, love how much your technique has improved since you started this blog. See you in 31 days or so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for taking a look. I am a slow learner with all of this........

      Delete