Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tundra diversity


I walked out near the airstrip to collect a "square foot" of tundra. Not so easy as the woody roots of some plants would not break. If I'd had a shovel I would have dug a soil profile to see what was taking place down under. What I'm told is that I would have found about 4-6 inches of topsoil, then 6-8 inches of sand from the glacial runoffs, then ice, permafrost.

willow and blueberries


marsh about two feet deep



bear berries and lowbush cranberries with some labrador tea

thick moss







bear berries (black), lowbush cranberries (red)




burgandy leaves are spent salmonberries



rust moss, white lichen



lichen with crowberry plant poking through









crowberry minus little black berry


2 comments:

  1. Cindy, those colors shots of the tundra are marvelous.May I copy some of them for my file? You have a gift for recognition of what is beautiful. We are on the road one day out! Happy week. Hope Halloween was terriific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you Jim, the world! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete